Burn injuries are among the most devastating and painful injuries that a person can suffer. They can be caused by a wide range of accidents, including car accidents, workplace accidents, and even defective products. When a person suffers a burn injury due to a defective product, it is important to understand product liability laws in South Carolina.
What is product liability?
Product liability is an area of law that holds manufacturers, distributors, and retailers responsible for injuries or damages caused by their products. When a product is defective, and someone is injured as a result, the injured person can seek compensation from the responsible parties.
What are the types of product defects?
There are three types of product defects that can lead to product liability claims:
- Manufacturing Defects – These are defects that occur during the manufacturing process. They may be caused by a problem with the materials used or a mistake in the assembly process.
- Design Defects – These are defects that are inherent in the design of the product. They may be present in every unit of the product produced.
- Marketing Defects – These are defects that occur during the marketing of the product, such as inadequate warnings or instructions.
How does product liability apply to burn injuries?
When a defective product causes a burn injury, the injured person can seek compensation from the manufacturer, distributor, and/or retailer of the product. The injured person must prove that the product was defective and that the defect caused the injury.
In South Carolina, product liability claims must be brought within three years of the injury. It is important to act quickly and seek legal advice if you believe that a defective product caused your burn injury.
Examples of products that can cause burn injuries include:
- Household appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, and space heaters
- Industrial equipment such as furnaces and boilers
- Chemicals such as cleaning agents and solvents
- Motor vehicles
- Consumer products such as children’s toys and clothing
- What damages can be recovered in a product liability case?
If a product liability case is successful, the injured person can recover damages for their injuries, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of enjoyment of life
In some cases, the injured person may also be awarded punitive damages. Punitive damages are meant to punish the responsible party for their reckless or intentional conduct.
It is also important to note that in South Carolina, the doctrine of comparative negligence applies to product liability cases. This means that if the injured person was partially at fault for their injury, their damages may be reduced in proportion to their degree of fault.
To avoid burn injuries caused by defective products, it is important to use products according to their intended purposes and follow all instructions and warnings. It is also important to check for any product recalls and immediately stop using any recalled product.
Burn injuries caused by defective products can be devastating, both physically and emotionally. South Carolina’s product liability laws are in place to provide legal recourse for those who have been injured due to a defective product. If you or a loved one has suffered a burn injury due to a defective product, it is important to seek the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you navigate the complex legal process and seek the compensation you deserve.
Nimmons Malchow Johnson Injury Lawyers is a law firm in South Carolina that specializes in personal injury cases, including burn injuries and product liability cases. Our experienced attorneys can help you with the following:
- Investigating the cause of your burn injury: We will conduct a thorough investigation to determine the cause of your burn injury and identify any potential parties who may be held liable for your injuries.
- Evaluating your damages: We will assess the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and any future medical needs or disability caused by your injury.
- Building a strong case: Our attorneys will work tirelessly to build a strong case on your behalf, including collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses, and consulting with experts.
- Negotiating a settlement: We will negotiate with the responsible parties and their insurance companies to seek a fair and just settlement that covers all of your damages.
- Representing you in court: If a settlement cannot be reached, our attorneys will represent you in court and fight to obtain the compensation you deserve.
At Nimmons Malchow Johnson Injury Lawyers, we understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that a burn injury can take on you and your family. We are dedicated to helping you recover the compensation you deserve and providing you with the support and guidance you need throughout the legal process.
If you or a loved one has suffered a burn injury due to a defective product in South Carolina, contact Nimmons Malchow Johnson Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation. Our attorneys are here to help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.