Nimmons Malchow Johnson Injury Lawyers was recently asked about what to do after a car accident has occurred and if one should deal with the insurance company by themselves. Here is our advice on what to do, once a car accident has occurred:
- Stop, never drive away from the scene of an accident.
- To prevent further accidents, put on flashers and wait by the side of the road.
- Even if there are no serious injuries, you should call the police. You may need a police report to make a claim for a damaged vehicle.
- Make sure you tell the police exactly what happened. If you are not sure, please do not guess. Tell them you do not know.
- Take pictures of vehicles, any visible injuries, and anything that might have been damaged in the accident.
- Make sure you exchange information including name, address, phone numbers & insurance information. Get the police report number.
- Notify your insurance company.
- Seek medical attention. Sometimes, injuries, such as spinal cord or loss of consciousness, are not apparent immediately but can cause serious health consequences.
- It is is important to consult your lawyer right after your accident. Get legal advice before providing a statement to the insurance company.
Please visit our services page for more information on auto collisions, motorcycle collisions, bicycle injuries and tractor-trailer and commercial vehicle collisions.